Sunday, May 5, 2013

Pinterest Win: Cupcake Stand, Re-Purposed

Just like practically every other 30-something year old woman in America, I am an avid Pinterester. Yes, I have a wedding board, but in my defense, I created it for my brother's wedding, to keep track of photobooth props and ideas. I mainly like to pin recipes and crafty things and decorating ideas.

One of the crafts I kept seeing pop up was a cupcake stand made from terracotta pots and saucers. You've probably seen this, but in case you haven't, here's one example:

This is from www.youngandcrafty.com. She used them for a baby shower.

As much as I love cupcakes, I don't really have a need for a cupcake stand right now. But I have been wanting to clean up my kitchen and declutter a bit. Having soap bottles and scrubbies all over the back of the sink drives me crazy. I decided to adapt the idea above into a shelf for kitchen supplies. Here's how mine turned out:

Not too shabby, in my opinion. I used silver and dark blue because those were the colors of paint I had available. And since our kitchen has all stainless appliances and dark counters, I thought it would blend right in. This took a few hours to put together, but most of that time was waiting for the paint to dry.

I already feel better about my kitchen sink AND I can cross another Pinterest project off my list.

If you want to make this yourself, here's what you need:
  • 1 terracotta pot and 1 terracotta saucer. (You want the saucer to be bigger than the pot, obviously.)
  • Acrylic paints and paintbrushes.
  • A hot glue gun and glue.


Basically, you're just going to paint the pot and the saucer and then glue them together. Ta-da! This is a fun little project for a rainy afternoon. I watched an episode or two of The West Wing while I worked on this, but that part is optional. :-)

1 comment:

  1. Cute! I wish I had the counter space for one of these :)

    ReplyDelete