Tuesday, May 7, 2013

A Face Like a 13 Year Old Boy

You know what I love about being 32? My skin, which has always been so smooth and pretty, has suddenly decided that it missed out on pimples and blackheads back in middle and high school. Today alone, I've had two pimples show up on my nose and one blackhead on my cheek. This is simply not acceptable. And I am going to do something about it.

In my ongoing quest to be kind to my body, I'm trying to approach things from a natural perspective, before I resort to better living through chemistry. Searching on Pinterest, I found a recipe for homemade Biore pore strips. Rock on! There are few things more satisfying than ripping one of those white cotton strips off my nose and seeing the little porcupine quills stuck to it.

According to the pin that took me to Petit Elefant, mixing milk and unflavored gelatin together and slathering it all over your face results in a full-face Biore strip-like effect. I did a little more digging and found a hilarious Pinbusters entry over at Pardon Our Sawdust where the truth of the homemade pore strip was told - it might work, but it hurts like hell.

I'm not really down with full face pain, so I've looked to other sources. The Arm and Hammer website recommends mixing 3 parts baking soda to 1 part water and using that as a face scrub. Can you get much simpler than that? I decided to give it a go.


3 Tablespoons of Baking Soda + 1 Tablespoon of Filtered Water + Mini Whisk (because it's cute)

So, here we go:


I wiped my face with a cucumber face wipe before I started the scrub. Figured it wasn't a great idea to be scrubbing smoodge all over the place. I spread the paste all over my face and let it sit for about 30 seconds. Then, I scrubbed. Well, "scrubbed" isn't really the right word - more like worked it around in small circles. I didn't want to be too tough on my skin.

I will tell you, I had to rinse my face 4 times to get all of the baking soda off. Once it was off, though - damn, that is some smooth skin.

So, the verdict: I think I'll be adding this to my Sunday "beauty" routine. I don't think it would be good to do this more than once a week.

Now to try out the new night cream I bought today. Aveeno Positively Radiant Intensive Night Cream. Maybe I can get this stupid 13-year-old-boy-like skin under control.

No comments:

Post a Comment