Friday, July 12, 2013

DIY: Fabric Softener

You can't have homemade laundry soap without homemade fabric softener, can you? I don't think so.

I found this recipe through Pinterest - thanks to Kat's Custom Kreations for the ratios I used below.

Three ingredients are all you need:


  • 8 ounces Hair Conditioner (Cost = $0.40 since I found V05 on super sale at Wal-Mart)
  • 12 ounces White Vinegar (Cost = $0.24)
  • 24 ounces hot water (No Cost, since we have well water)
In a large mixing bowl, combine the hot water and conditioner. It will be foamy.


Add the vinegar and stir until combined. 

That's it. You end up with 44 ounces of fabric softener.



The total cost is $0.64. Each load of laundry uses 2 ounces of the liquid. This means the total cost per load is around $0.03. !!!

I haven't bought liquid fabric softener in a long time, but the last time I did, I bought Gain. Right now, you can get a 51 ounce bottle of Gain at Wal-Mart for $4.47. The bottle says it has enough for 60 loads. Using that as the calculation, that comes out to $0.08 a load. That is a $0.05 savings per load - might not seem like a lot, but I'll take what I can get.

I put it in a Downy ball, but you can also add it to your fabric softener compartment, if you have one on your washer.

As for the smell, it is lovely while in the bottle, but it does not leave much of a smell on the clothes. It does, however, make clothes incredibly soft, due to the vinegar.

No comments:

Post a Comment