Wednesday, January 8, 2014

My JudgeyPants Are Getting A Bit Tight

Hi, I'm Val and I am a Snap Judger.

When I meet someone new, my mind almost always forms an immediate opinion of them. Funny, perky, loud, obnoxious, shy, closed off, closed minded, asshole, friendly, too friendly...the list goes on and on. I think most people do this, so I know I am not alone.

My problem is, until you prove me wrong, I will most likely continue to think of you the same way I did when we first met. It doesn't matter if other people tell me differently about you. It will take some convincing to get me to change my mind.

And I might not even give you a chance. I might just stay so firmly stuck to what I believe to be true about you that I won't give you the opportunity to show me just how wrong I am.

In other words, I'm stubborn. And I wonder how many friendships I have missed out on because of my stubbornness.

This is an aspect of my personality I am working on. It's a process, for sure. And hopefully, being a little more open and a little less judgey will help me to reach my goal of fulfillment in this new year.

No comments:

Post a Comment