Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Strawberry Banana Orange Kale Smoothie

I know it's Fat Tuesday. And it is also National Pancake Day. I know I am supposed to be indulging in a stack of hotcakes or a slice of King Cake.

But y'all, I have a food hangover. We celebrated J's birthday last night and ate all of his favorite foods - guacamole and chips; big, fat ribeyes on the grill; twice baked potatoes stuffed with cheese and bacon and sour cream; salad with Italian dressing; and Key Lime pie.

And I just kept eating, even after the point of being stuffed, because everything was just too good (if I do say so myself, since I cooked it all...hehe).

I woke up this morning and I don't know if it was the amount of food I ate, or the red meat, because that never sits well with me and I ate a very large portion of a very large steak. I feel like hammered crap.

So I'm starting Lent a day early, I guess. I was planning to give up "mindless eating" for the season. I'm not cutting out anything in particular, but I am going to be mindful of what I put into my body. Reaching for a candy bar is so much easier than prepping fruit or vegetables for a snack, but it is definitely not the best choice.

If you are in the same boat as me, or if you just want to get more fruits and veggies into your diet, here's a quick smoothie recipe.

Into your blender goes the following:


1 large Kale leaf, washed and torn into small pieces (discard the stem)
1/2 Banana, frozen
3/4 Cups Strawberries, chopped
1/2 Cup Plain Greek Yogurt
1/2 Cup Orange Juice
1/2 tsp. Vanilla

For smoothies, I like to take fresh bananas and smash the crap out of them, then freeze them in little hockey pucks. This makes them super easy to store in the freezer (they are flat!) and easy to use, plus it adds some creaminess to your smoothie.

Blend all ingredients until they become a smoothie. Drink and feel good about what you are putting into your body.

No comments:

Post a Comment